otherwise

forays

Monday, March 27, 2006

The main reason for the lack of new posts on this blog, my dear handful of readers, is that I'm involved (as actor, co-director, musician, and setter-up of housing) in a production of The Threepenny Opera in a couple of weeks in Chicago. My friend Rick Burkhardt's new translation is politically urgent and hilarious, and the arrangement of Weill's score for a mere three instruments is sounding very good, if I do say so myself. If you're in Chicago, come see it!
Info is here.

1 Comments:

  • At March 30, 2006 at 5:18 AM, Blogger Andy Gricevich said…

    Not to fear; Mac goes free, and is in fact given a mansion in Colorado and made our ambassador to the United Nations for his work in setting fire to oil fields in Iraq and blaming it on "insurgents." Actually, the translation is largely more faithful to Brecht than most extant versions... and then these things get dropped into it.

    The John Gay is interesting, but my favorite discovery was digging up the Villon poems some of the songs are based on.

    Glad to hear you like "Scale." Music, mountains, and my own minor skin problems will certainly come into it.

    Demos were great, actually (which I don't often necessarily find to be the case, for all their virtues)--a bunch of really inspiring people in various cities I sang in over the war-anniversary weekend.

    I think some Republicans used to care about culture, but it seems pretty rare in the newer generations, who are all products of the contemporary career-preparation educational system...

    cheers,

    Andy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home