otherwise

forays

Monday, October 16, 2006

resolution

Soon I will post more here.
I think.

For now, here's what I've finished reading in the last month:
Herman Melville, Moby Dick
Lisa Jarnot, Ring of Fire
Renee Gladman, The Activist
Barrett Watten, Under Erasure
Lorine Niedecker, New Goose
Sarah Kane, Blasted
August Derleth, The Wisconsin: River of a Thousand Isles
George Oppen, Seascape (Needle's Eye); Myth of the Blaze

and finished rereading:
various books by Patrick Herron
Louis Zukofsky, "A"
George Oppen, Discrete Series
William Gillespie, California One and One for All

and am now reading:
Bob Perelman, IfLife
Landis Everson, Everything Preserved
Marcel Proust, The Guermantes Way
Rosmarie Waldrop, A Form/Of Taking/It All
Eduardo Galeano, Genesis
Martin Heidegger, Kant and the Problem of Metaphysics
and too many other books to enumerate here. These are the ones I'm confident I'll finish more or less soon.

3 Comments:

  • At October 16, 2006 at 8:51 PM, Blogger david raphael israel said…

    Quite a bit of reading thar. I remember liking the little Barrett Watten volume, though regrettably didn't give it a full read (& don't know what's become of it). Is that Galeano book his new one? (I heard him briefly on radio about it, maybe around six months ago.)

     
  • At October 17, 2006 at 12:35 AM, Blogger Andy Gricevich said…

    Nice to hear from you, David.

    The Galeano is older; it's the first book of his trilogy, Memory of Fire, which goes through the history of the Americas (mostly, but not exclusively, South America) in the beautiful little paragraphs he's known for. It's amazing. I read the third one first, have been slowly making my way through this one, and have leafed around in the second, since it's the one from which the play I'm doing in Chicago draws heavily.

    I'd love to read the new one. The Book of Embraces is awfully good, too--kind of like a humanist version of some of Borges.

    I love that Watten stuff. I read Progress some years back, in my initial phase of BW gluttony. I was so taken with it that it ruined my writing for a good two years, during which I produced nothing but arid abstraction in highly developed formal schemes, sculpting negativities... and I wasn't good enough for it then.

     
  • At November 1, 2006 at 11:19 AM, Blogger Carmenisacat said…

    There is nothing like Borges!

    But have you read what I want you to read? Hahaha.

    Cheers.

    Lilac

     

Post a Comment

<< Home